Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 12:20:38 -0700
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@sofia.csl.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel panics at boot, how to specify dump device?

Hi all,

I have a 4-STABLE kernel that panics at boot. How do I force the kernel
to core dump?

I know that the handbook says to build a debug kernel and to set the
dump device via (dumpon + /etc/rc.conf) but in this case the kernel
panics during booting. The handbook says that, if the kernel panics at
boot, one can specify the dump device in the kernel configuration file,
with the "config kernel" line. I tried something like

config         kernel dump on /dev/wd0s3b

(and variations thereof) but I get a syntax error from /usr/sbin/config.

I thought maybe it is possible to specify the dump device at the loader prompt?
Am I correct that once you specify the boot device the kernel will automatically
dump at panics?

Thanks for your help
Marco
--
Marco Molteni "rough consensus and running code"
SRI International, System Design Laboratory