Date:      28 Nov 2001 16:50:35 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for sendmail logfile analysis tool

Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> writes:

> I have been doing a great deal of work on log monitoring, and was
> interested in working with this group until I discovered that all of
> their output (including their DTDs) is GPLed. Alas, because the DTDs are
> GPLed and no other documentation of their "DLF" file format is provided,
> there is a serious risk of GPL contamination if one writes a program
> which interoperates with theirs. Unless they agree to release their DTDs
> under a truly free license, I'll have to implement something myself that
> IS truly free.

There aren't many that can resist the poisoned apple like that.  Way to
be.  Makes me glad I switched from GNU/Linux last year.

But if you ever decide that "free license" (truly or not) is too
oxymoronic to use with a straight face, you might consider using the
term "wide open license".  It leaves room for mis-interpretation, but
not much; "wide open" has some fuzz on it.  Unfortunately, web page
http://www.dspguru.com/wol2.htm claims that the capitalized form and
acronym are trademarks.  I think it's too descriptive to be a valid
TM and the web page gives you the idea that it is not being properly
used as a TM, but who wants to argue?   Anyone got a similar term?

Concerning GPL contamination via DTDs:

If this is an old topic, excuse me; it's the first I've seen mention of
it.  I'm wondering how similar this is to GPL contamination via IDL
source in the CORBA world.  (GPL and GPL-incompatible programs
communicating via CORBA, using Interface-Definition-Language-specified
interfaces.)  I'm pretty sure that RMS ruled IDL files basically
uncopyrightable (unenforcable anyway) since there is basically only
one way to specify the interface.  (All variations would be
essentially non-creative translations of each other. ?)  See
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=berlin-design&m=93118897023514&w=2
where he reveals one of his principles with:

    However, using the GPL on IDL files might have a substantial
    practical effect even if it isn't legally airtight.

He ends it with Words To Live By (TM):

    So the real question is, what result do you want?

Anyway, are DTDs sufficiently like an interface to use similar
arguments?  (I think the argument depends on interfaceness, not
just lack of creative variations, but I'm not sure.)