Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 11:11:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RS422/485 driver update

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> By popular request, I've added to the driver archive a schematic and PCB
> layout for a simple RS232/RS485 adapter that we use here.
>
> Given the cost of commercial units of similar functionality, the effort
> required to DIY is probably worth it.  If anyone is seriously interested
> in quantities of 5 or more, I'll happily quote on manufacture.

Michael, the .sch file seems to be missing from the tar file, could you
put it up?

This seems really interesting for me, tho I cna't tell right now hwo long
it will take me to get to a keen application.  Most modern theatres (at
least in the US) use an RS485 interface, in conjuntion with an incredibly
simple protocol and hardware, to control lighting.  The consoles that do
this are really expensive, and it seems like a real good application for
me to fiddle with.  Real time for such folks isn't the same real-time as
it is for you and me, at least in my talks with local theatre folk seem
to indicate.  Cheap is important!

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |