Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:03:43 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Jesper Wallin" <z3l3zt@hackunite.net>
To:        "Peter Risdon" <peter@circlesquared.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is the chmod values in /home insecure by default?

> Jesper Wallin wrote:
>
>>Hello..
>>
>>I'm running FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p5 and when I create new user accounts with
>> "adduser",
>>the home directories are world readable/executable.. Sure, it might be useful if I want
>>to publish a website in my public_html, but yet, it should be up to the user if he want
>>to have his homedir world-readable, but by default it should be set to "chmod 700" or
>>"chmod 750" if each user has their own group imho. However, I saw that "adduser" had a
>>config file (/etc/adduser.conf) but the there is no manual entry for adduser.conf and I
>>can't find any example for it.. How can I change the default permission for new
>>home-directories?
>>

> This might help:
>
> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/freebsd/2000-08/0361.html
>
> Basically, you need to change the permissions f the directory
> /usr/share/skel and its contents.
>
> PWR.

Hello..

First of all, thanks for your answer.. I tried to chmod both /etc/skel and
/usr/share/skel to 700, yet it's not working.. I've checked in /usr/local/etc for any
"skel" directory, but it's not there and the man page for "adduser" says it's
/usr/share/skel (which doesn't work) ..

Regards,
Jesper Wallin