Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:48:28 -0600
From:      "Andy Rowland" <andy@tigertown.k12.mo.us>
To:        Woody Carey <wcarey@wcarey.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP "host based" printers (PPA) and FreeBSD ?

>From: Woody Carey <wcarey@wcarey.com>
>To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>Subject: HP "host based" printers (PPA) and FreeBSD ?
>Date: Sun, Feb 13, 2000, 2:58 AM

[snip for length]

>Is this printer some stupid "WinPrinter" that is useless to me
>from FreeBSD?  Am I completely hosed?  Any clues greatly appreciated,
>I don't know enough about what "PPA" is to figure out how crippled
>this printer is...

The 700-series HPs are junk unless you are using Windows.  They don't do
*any* emulations, including PCL.  I have run into this problem in my real
job (sysadmin for 5 school districts) with these printers and DOS programs.
They're useless unless you're running at least in Win16 mode, if not Win32.
(all together now...EWWWW!)

The 5/6/8/9 series seem to be OK, with a few exceptions, as they will all
run PCL.

>Thanks for any clues,
HTH, HAND.

> - Woody