Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:43:21 -0800
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        daniel_sobral@voga.com.br, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

[ .... much ramblings by many people deleted .... ]

  Please understand that I am attacking this as two seperate systems :

	1) A system which manages building of multiple options or modules into
	one or more modules which together make a "kernel." (this means support
	for both a static kernel and a completely dynamic kernel. Both extremes
	will be useful to different people, but the majority of us will want
	something in the middle)

	2) Another system which manages that management. This is the "kernel
	configuratior" and one will be neccisary to build static kernels, no
	matter how you look at the problem. While I am all for dynamic kernels,
	a static kernel is still very useful, and I VERY much do not want to
	see that possibility go away.
	  It should also be noted that this tool will be needed to configure
	compile-time options of the modules.

  Currently, I haven't even begun to think about part 2, but am instead trying
to come up with an easy-to-maintain and extendable method of implementing part
1. I am to replace the config(8) utility and it's underlying build method with
something that will remove many of the problems of config(8).

--
Jonathan Mini 					Ingenious Productions
Software Development				P.O. Box 5693,

 "A child of five could understand this! Quick -- Fetch me a child of five."