Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:22:40 -0500
From:      "Corigan" <gwarslave@mindspring.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PPP And Netgraph Help..

Sorry For Posting it in freebsd-net, but I have posted it in
freebsd-questions and got no answer.. Was hoping maybe julian, archie,
brian, another PPPoE guru may be able to help me out.. :)

Dear Fellow Freebsd question readers,

       I would like to open up this plea for help first by thanking brian
somers, archie cobb, and julian elischer for some excellent code, i.e.
Netgraph and user-PPP.  This code definately worked real well.  I had the
netgraph and user-ppp running great together until I cvsup'd one day and did
a make world.  I went to bed, woke up, and there was no connection.   So I
started looking through my logs to see if I could find out what happened.
Here is what my normal connection looks like - this is using Netgraph from a
recent cvsup on a 3.4-STABLE build with user-ppp 2.24.  After all my trouble
occured I went to Brian's web page and grabbed his 2.26 user-ppp and
compiled it and still had the same results.  Here is a log of what usually
happens when it connects properly, and I'll also paste my ppp.conf and
options file, etc. after a log of a good connection and then what happens
when I try to connect after the cvsup.  I intiate the command
./ppp -nat -ddial default to connect and it always worked fine, I tried it
without the nat flags of course to.  So here is the good connection:

Jan  3 17:22:02 crazytrain ppp[314]: Phase: Using interface: tun0
Jan  3 17:22:02 crazytrain ppp[314]: Phase: deflink: Created in closed state
Jan  3 17:22:02 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: PPP Started (ddial mode).
Jan  3 17:22:02 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: bundle: Establish
Jan  3 17:22:02 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: deflink: closed -> opening
Jan  3 17:22:02 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: deflink: Connected!
Jan  3 17:22:02 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: deflink: opening -> dial
Jan  3 17:22:02 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: deflink: dial -> carrier
Jan  3 17:22:03 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: Received NGM_PPPOE_SUCCESS (hook
"tun0")
Jan  3 17:22:03 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: deflink: carrier -> login
Jan  3 17:22:03 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: deflink: login -> lcp
Jan  3 17:22:03 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: bundle: Authenticate
Jan  3 17:22:03 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: deflink: his = CHAP 0x05, mine =
none
Jan  3 17:22:03 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: Chap Input: CHALLENGE (16 bytes
from WDSTGACR_IFITL)
Jan  3 17:22:03 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: Chap Output: RESPONSE
(XXXX@bellsouth.net)
Jan  3 17:22:04 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: Chap Input: SUCCESS
Jan  3 17:22:04 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: deflink: lcp -> open
Jan  3 17:22:04 crazytrain ppp[321]: Phase: bundle: Network
Jan  3 17:22:04 crazytrain ppp[321]: Warning: Add route failed: default
already exists

This is normally what happens and when doing an ifconfig afterwards you
could see the ip address bound to tun0 and where it was going, I.E.
0.0.0.0 ---> 1.1.1.1
But when I woke up the next day and started inspecting my logs I found this:

Jan  4 13:51:25 crazytrain ppp[2068]: Phase: deflink: hangup -> opening
Jan  4 13:54:18 crazytrain ppp[291]: Phase: Using interface: tun0
Jan  4 13:54:18 crazytrain ppp[291]: Phase: deflink: Created in closed state
Jan  4 13:54:18 crazytrain ppp[293]: Phase: PPP Started (ddial mode).
Jan  4 13:54:18 crazytrain ppp[293]: Phase: bundle: Establish
Jan  4 13:54:18 crazytrain ppp[293]: Phase: deflink: closed -> opening
Jan  4 13:54:18 crazytrain ppp[293]: Phase: deflink: Connected!
Jan  4 13:54:18 crazytrain ppp[293]: Phase: deflink: opening -> dial
Jan  4 13:54:18 crazytrain ppp[293]: Phase: deflink: dial -> carrier
Jan  4 13:54:23 crazytrain ppp[293]: Phase: deflink: Disconnected!
Jan  4 13:54:23 crazytrain ppp[293]: Phase: deflink: carrier -> hangup
Jan  4 13:54:23 crazytrain ppp[293]: Phase: deflink: Connect time: 5 secs: 0
octets in, 0 octets out
Jan  4 13:54:23 crazytrain ppp[293]: Phase:  total 0 bytes/sec, peak 0
bytes/sec on Tue Jan  4 13:54:23 2000

This is what started occuring the morning after.  This could mean that my
connection is just down and something is messed on bellsouth's end, or
possibly that Netgraph isn't getting the call from ppp, or netgraph just
isn't recieving NGM_PPPOE_SUCCESS from my bellsouth server.  I'm not
actually quite sure how it works.  I Have compiled the netgraph code into
the kernel with the options NETGRAPH, options  NETGRAPH_PPPOE, and options
NETGRAPH_SOCKET.  Like I stated, I'm not quite sure how this
NGM_PPPOE_SUCCESS hook works.. if it is recieved from bellsouth and their
server, or recieved from ppp and it is ppp that isn't calling it.  If
user-ppp is the problem in why it isn't grabbing that NGM_PPPOE_SUCCESS, how
can I fix this?  I see that there is a -DNONETGRAPH command in user-ppp that
could be the cause of this, but I'm not quite sure of the legistics.  I also
went and grabbed the new user-ppp sources from brian's page and compiled
them and tried the same thing with the new user-ppp 2.26 and had the same
results, just it trying to reconnect over and over again getting that same
log as posted above.  Here are my ppp.conf and options files:

/etc/ppp/options

default:
 set device PPPoE:mx0
 set mru 1492
 set mtu 1492
 deny pap
 accept chap
 set speed sync
 set cd 5
 set authname XXXX@bellsouth.net
 set authkey xxxxxx
 enable lqr
 set redial 0 0
 set dial
 add 0 0 HISADDR

ppp.conf looks the same way too, not sure if that was correct or not, but it
was working for quite sometime greatly.. :)  I also had underneath all the
options in default an, interactive: section that has the same information
listed as under the default heading.  Anyways, if anybody could help me out
and figure out why this stopped connecting it would be greatly appreciated.
It may be bellsouth's side, and it may be something that I compiled wrong on
my side after the cvsup by doing the make world, that I am not sure of.  I
am hoping that some of these logs will let someone get an idea of what is
going on so they can possibly help me on my way to a resolution.    It may
be something as simple as editing out the -DNONETGRAPH lines in the Makefile
in /usr/src/usr.sbin/ppp - but I'm not sure what I did the first time around
to make it function correctly.  Once again, thanks everybody for listening
and coming together to get this code together.  Archie, Brian, Julian,
everyone else, excellent work and thanks from a freebsd user that can use a
PPPoE connection.

Matt Thomas
Gwarslave@mindspring.com