Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:46:26 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        SimsS@Infi.Net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

>>>(For my benefit, can anyone explain why the default port address for ed0
>>>is 0x280?  I assume some historical reason, but I really don't know the
>>>details....)
>>
>>It is a common default for WD/SMC cards, which also use the ed driver.
>
>   So is 0x300. There's even a hard jumper to select it, and I think the
>WD/SMC cards are even set to 0x300 out of the box.
>
>>>OK, how 'bout this:  I'll endorse nuking the ed1 device, but only if the
>>>default settings for the ed0 device are changed to 5/300 in GENERIC.  What
>>>say?
>>
>>No!
>
>   Erm, why? 0x300 is a better default.

Well, a lot of the old WD cards I have are set initially to 0x280
(admitedly these are quite old cards, and are set by jumper only).  I
presumed this was a reason why ed0 used that port, but perhaps cards
like this are in the minority now.  I wonder if the change will cause
hassles for people who may have jumpered their cards to the 5/280 setting
to suit ed0 on previous releases.  Anyway, for me, booting with -c is
no big deal, and I always build a custom kernel after installing.
It may be simpler to leave ed0 and ed1 in place, unless either is causing
a conflict elsewhere.

David