Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:26:29 -0400
From:      "Bob Hall" <rjhjr@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: internet connects but no make in ports

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 09:39:47AM -0400, Douglas wrote:
> I upgraded to 4.8 via cvsup, but I never setup
> networking on the original install.
>
> I could connect to the internet with ppp
> but could not use a browser or use make in ports
> or use ftp; but I'm connected to the internet?

Actually, I think you're only connected to your ISP's
modem.

> What entry do I make/ where could I look?
> I have the freebsd handbook, the complete freebsd,

This first time I did this, I followed the instructions in
Lehey's book. It took a while and some effort, since I started
off knowing very little about the subject. How you set it up
depends on your situation and wishes, so I can't tell you how
to do it. Read, study, and post questions to freebsd-questions,
since this doesn't relate to stable.

Bob Hall