Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 23:23:48 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X Conferencing: was [hackers:] Architectural advice needed

On Mon, Dec 08, 1997 at 07:58:00PM -0800, Amancio Hasty wrote:
> We have all the technology except for H.323 as for conferencing
> implementation WinX is way behind and for that matter so far
> for PCs FreeBSD is the preferred platform for doing audio/video/text
> conferencing 8)

Neat! I had no idea we had such a wide range of tools available for
cool stuff like this. So I'm assuming "whiteboard" is what I was
refering to as a blackboard (scratch pad). Can more than two users
share a common white-board? I'll have to look into this one since it's
exactly what I've been longing for!!

I was aware of the bt848 stuff for video capture/display. Is "vat" the
video conferencing tool? Can it work on "normal" IP connections (i.e. non-
multicast) ?  Is "tel" a purely audio equivalent?

Looks like as soon as exams are over I'll have some fun tools to
explore/play with! Are there any sites out there outline the FreeBSD/Unix/X
conferencing and chat tools? If not I think I'll compile a site with all
the tools a typical user would need to get started. I'm excited!

Finally, what exactly is H.323?? is it some sort of directory services
standard, or what?? I'm pretty sure I remember that Netscape was using
the H.323 stuff, but that Microsoft wasn't (although I do think they
had an option related to it..).

-Mark

P.S. I think I'll have to start paying more attention to the -multimedia
list 8-)

> 	Cheers,
> 	Amancio
>

> > > One thing that would have really helped us out that I now see in the
> > > win95/Mac netscape and mickeysoft conferencing tools is the
> > > "blackboard" thing - you can scribble and write on a blackboard
> > > that is shared by all members of the conference. I don't think this is
> > > present in the Unix version of Netscape 4.0 though... Bummer.
> >
> > What? You don't like ASCII art?? :)
> >
> > > One thing is for certain, conferencing tools will almost certainly
> > > represent a pretty big market in the years to come. Especially once we
> > > start getting ADSL and cable modem rollouts so you can have an audio/video
> > > link happening. The FreeBSD project, IMHO, is a shining example of what
> > > can be accomplished through the Net, and the success is remarkable given
> > > the relatively primitive tools used!
> >
> > > If it doesn't already exist, an X conferencing tool certainly seems like
> > > a neat program "waiting to be created" by some spirited programmer
> > > out there! :-)
> >
> > Well, X11 has a pretty big advantage over the rest, since the format is
> > so standardized and networkable. Try setting a DISPLAY environment on NT.
> >
> > FreeBSD has all the tools: Bt948/QuickCam/etc drivers, vat/tel, X11, irc,
> > etc. All it needs is an API and some compression (sxpc?). The only
> > "feature" the commercial apps have is MMX compression, which does very
> > well for audio/video compression. Is MMX under NDA only?
> >
> > I know such a package would be a big value-add to FreeBSD workstations.
> >
> > Kevin

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU