Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 16:55:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Device Driver Submission

I wish to submit my device driver.  Its name is "dio". I have written a
man page for it and have debugged it extensively.  It drives a digital i/o
board that supports only mode 0 on the intel 8255 PPI.  It supports change
of state interrupts on all inputs (this is a feature not found in other
boards).  This type of hardware is commonly used to drive solid state
relays, for instance I have some backplanes and relays that will allow you
to do high current AC or DC switching.  The change of state interrupts
might be used anywhere you are waiting for some event to occur (such as
an an alarm system or an industrial machine that must do limit detection.)
The driver is about 500 lines, I have tested it to make sure that its
devfs hooks work correctly (DEVFS btw is pretty cool) and is well
documented.

I'd like to know how this is usually done, especially since this does not
support some kind of critical system that would adversely effect
stability.  In other words it is very special-purpose.

for specs see: http://www.indcompsrc.com/products/data/html/dio48s_at-p.html

I've been considering buying some of this hardware to do home automation.
For instance if you want to control some 0-60volt 3AMP dc signals  a
backplane with 24 Solid State Relays runs about $400.

The board itself costs $260. I've used them on many different projects.