Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 23:22:26 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, "Robert A. Bruce" <rab@cdrom.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG, rab@pike.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Publishing the FreeBSD Handbook and FAQ

On Tue, Oct 13, 1998 at 03:15:48PM +0200, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 1998 at 05:12:35AM -0700, Robert A. Bruce wrote:
> > Different parts to the book have different styles, some parts are
> > "folksy" while others are more formal.  But I don't agree that this
> > is necessarily a "problem" that needs to be fixed.  As long as the
> > information is technically correct, I don't think it is a big deal
> > if the style varies from chapter to chapter.
>
> It depends on whether we want it to feel as a coherent work or as a
> set of random collected writings.  It is not very important, but it
> would add a much more professional feel to it.

The other thing we could do is split it out in to individual articles
or HOWTOs. There's not a *great* deal of cross reference between the
sections of the Handbook, and some of them (like the Printing or Security
sections) could stand on their own very easily.

I haven't seen any indication from the Linux camp of whether or not the
HOWTO approach has proved to be more useful than one large document.

FWIW I've also got a very fledgling markup guide for the DocBook
version of the Handbook, written as I select particular elements for
particular usages. It's not ready for release yet though :-(

> > >(4) Contain relevant illustrations.
> >
> > Do you have a list of where illustrations are needed?  Is there
> > a standard way of putting illustrations into an SGML document?
>
> No and yes, respectively.  Nik has details on how to insert
> illustrations in his head (and I have them stored away on my hard
> drive, and can probably dig them up if need be).

Searching the -doc mailing list archive for the phrase 'inlinegraphic'
will probably throw up most of what I've written on the subject.

> IMO: The handbook really need somebody to read it before publishing it
> :-)

After the past few months, I probably know it better than anyone else :-)

	    C.R.F. Consulting -- we're run to make me richer. . .