Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 05:25:30 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Dennis Jun <dennisjun@home.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD licence vs GPL

--JSVXQxoTSdH0Ya++

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 01:31:07AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> The problem with forking off your own private copy of BSD code is that
> now, every time that someone makes a refinement to the BSD code that
> makes it better, if you want to take advantage of that refinement you
> have to go back and re-implement it into your own code.  This is pretty
> easy to do initially, but the more divergence you yourself place into your
> own private source, the harder it becomes.

This is exactly why I never trusted how GPL advocates justified their
restrictive license.  Closing up one's source makes it impossible to
keep your code competitive with the open source base.  Keeping out
commercial vendors only negatively impacts your development: people with
money can fund full-time developers to bring more and better features to
your code.  They can choose to keep it to themselves for awhile, but as
you say, over time this will only lead to problems.

The other reason I like the BSD license is the same that Kris Kennaway
already gave:  It allows commercial vendors to implement code that was
*properly* designed, not designed under market pressure.  This makes the
world a better place.

--=20
wca

--JSVXQxoTSdH0Ya++