Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 10:44:20 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        me@tick.muc.ditec.de (Michael Elbel)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can somebody recommend a notebook?

[ I Cc'd the mobile list as well ]

Michael Smith writes:
> Michael Elbel stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I need to get a notebook here at work. Can anybody recommend something.
> > Additionally, has anybody tried to install FreeBSD on one of the newer
> > DIGITAL HiNote Notebooks? They do look good.
>
> I can strongly recomment the new Sharp PC9000 units; I've had one for
> several months now and am very happy with it.

Also, the newer NEC Versa 4000 models are *highly* regarded, and came
out on top in a recent Dr. Dobbs article (above even the ThinkPads which
I consider to be one of the best built laptops on the market).  They are
also known to work with FreeBSD in all respects, although I don't know
if anyone has the newest model workin in 1024x768 mode.  Mine works
great at 800x600.

I have the older model, but I have reports of people running FreeBSD on
the newer models which have built-in CD, sound-card, APM, PCCARD, etc..

And, one more bonus is that I'm doing most of the laptop support, and my
main box is a NEC Versa so you're almost guaranteed that FreeBSD will
support the NEC first-thing. :)

The only drawback is it's a heavy beast.  Mine goes 9+ lbs., but if
you're looking for a machine that can double as your desktop box (with
an external keyboard and monitor) it can't be beat.

Nate