Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:32:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        LKentane@mweb.com (Langa Kentane)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, linux-admin@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject:   Re: Synchronising user accounts between to machines...

Langa Kentane wrote,
> I have two machines... one I use for mail and the other one I use for games
> and stuff  (ftp)....
> My friends ftp to the games machine to download and upload a lot of stuff.
>
> I create a lot of user accounts daily and a couple of the users need change
> the passwd's quite often and I have disabled telnet access to both machines.
> How do I synchronise user accounts on both machines,  say have an update
> every hour or so.
>
> Can somebody point me to the howto's?
>
> One thing that I forgot to mention is that one machine is a linux machine
> and the other FreeBSD.  I will be adding another machine to the lot (Solaris
> 7).  I am a newbie to Unix so please be forgiving.

Provided the environment is secure enough and some other factors, this
sounds like a very approproate situation for NIS. The basic idea
behind NIS is to maintain a single set of user information over a
numbre of machines, which sounds like what you would like to do.

John Kenagy's NIS beginner's page is a reasonable place to start,

   http://www.realtime.net/sculpture/nis-startup.html