Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:48:28 -0500
From:      "Peter C. Lai" <peter@simons-rock.edu>
To:        Richard Tector <richardtector@thekeelecentre.com>
Cc:        Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.1, mpt and slow writes

On 2009-01-29 11:43:46AM +0000, Richard Tector wrote:
> Charles Sprickman wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I think this needs a few more eyes:
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-scsi/2009-January/003782.html
>>
>> In short, writes are slow, likely do to the write-cache being enabled on
>> the controller.  The sysctl used in 6.x to turn the cache off don't seem
>> to be in 7.x.

I am guessing this is only related to SATA drives on SAS controllers?
The only mpt hardware I have is LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 and it writes
sustained 40MB/s to my LTO-2 drives out of the box without any tweaking.

Peter C. Lai                 | Bard College at Simon's Rock
Systems Administrator        | 84 Alford Rd.
Information Technology Svcs. | Gt. Barrington, MA 01230 USA
peter AT simons-rock.edu     | (413) 528-7428