Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 09:12:42 -0400
From:      "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG.'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Help Newbie with install Nightmare!!!

To put along story short, on saturday I had a full function Linux system.
Monday I have a win 95 system.

Ok, I have been trying to install FreeBSD. I finally got it to write to my
drive and install /bin. But, the problem is when I boot I get a invalid
format error?

My drives are :

 on first controller disk 1 is a 1.2 GB DOS/Win 95 only.
 on first controller disk 2 is 6.0 GB  parition
                       FreeBSD    1GB
                       Linux          2 GB
                       Linux          2 GB
                       FreeBSD    1.1GB

At boot I have tried, 1:wd(1,a)kernel
                             1:wd(2,a)kernel
 and they give me the invalid format  error.

Now when I type 1:wd(2,b)kernel (which I believe is correct for my sytem)

I see the hash (\) start to spin, then the system locks.

Now, I did use the 2.2.8 boot floppy to install the 3.1 stable bin. I could
not get the 3.1 kern and MFS floppies to write to the disk, the could not
detect read my DOS part where I had /Freebsd/bin and /freebsd/compat22

Can someone help

Rod...