Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 18:58:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dan@math.berkeley.edu (Dan Strick)
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dan@math.berkeley.edu
Subject:   the scsi pass through ioctl

1)  Can someone explain the timeout member of the scsireq struct
    used for the SCIOCCOMMAND (scsi command pass through) ioctl()?

    I would guess it sets the time period after which an incomplete
    scsi command will be cancelled without returning scsi status
    and that the SCCMD_TIMEOUT code will be returned in the
    retsts member of the scsireq struct.

    Can someone confirm this?
    Can someone tell me in what units the timeout is specified?
    Seconds?  Milliseconds?  Days?  Endless Summers?

2)  A long time ago someone said in a FreeBSD mailing list that you
    could trash your disk contents by attempting scsi pass through
    commands while the disk was also doing normal file system I/O.

    Does anyone recall why this might have been the case and know
    if it might still be the case?  I can think of reasons why I
    might want to do "harmless" scsi commands on an active disk.

Dan Strick
dan@math.berkeley.edu