Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2013 22:50:17 +0100
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Paul Keusemann <pkeusem@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cas driver fails to load first time after boot.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 12:39:44PM -0600, Paul Keusemann wrote:

> On 01/24/13 09:09, Marius Strobl wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 02:46:48PM -0600, Paul Keusemann wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've got a Dell R200 which I'm trying to build into a gateway with a Sun
> >> QGE (501-6738-10).  The cas driver fails to load the first time I try to
> >> load it but succeeds the second time.  Is this a problem with the card,
> >> the driver, my karma?
> > Wrong phase of the moon, apparently :)
> > The MII setup of these chips is a bit tricky and I'm not sure whether
> > I've hit all code paths during development of the driver. I certainly
> > didn't test with a 501-6738, these have been reported as working before,
> > though. It also doesn't make much sense that attaching the devices
> > succeeds on the second attempt. Could you please use a if_cas.ko built
> > with the attached patch and report the debug output for one of the
> > interfaces in both the working and the non-working case?
>
> I would love to give you output from the working and non-working case
> but apparently the phase of the moon has changed, I can't get it to fail
> now.  The messages output from the working case is attached.

Thanks but unfortunately this doesn't make any sense either. In general,
printf()s cause deays which can be relevant. In the locations I've put
them they hardly can make such a difference though.
If you haven't already done so, could you please power off the machine
before doing the test with the patched module? Is the problem still gone
if you revert to the original module?

Marius