Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 18:56:52 -0500
From:      Corey Brune <michael.brune@airmail.net>
To:        "FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Allowing users access

Jason Scott wrote:

> I would like to allow users access to FTP their files into their individual
> accounts on my server, but I don't want to allow Telnet (or allow only
> limited telnet) so that my server's files are not altered.  If anyone has
> any experience in this, or could point me in the right direction, I would
> appreciate it EXTREMELY.  I have read several books, including "the
> complete freebsd" and more, and I haven't been able to find anything...
>
> Thank You,
> Jason Scott
>
> Please reply via e-mail to: freepix@sirius.com

You could try ncftpd at www.ncftpd.com or if you use wu-ftpd, you can chroot
the users in the passwd file. I think the syntax is something like:
username:password:uid:gid:comment:/path/to/home/dir/./:shell
This syntax may be a little off, btu the main thing is to get the ./ at the
end of the home directory.

Hope this helps,

Corey