Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 20:18:31 +0000 ()
From:      Eric Yagerlener <eyager@novagate.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Config crashes.  Kernel will not compile.

I have a 60 mhz Pentium with a Mercury Chipset.  8 megs of Ram and about
25 Megs worth of swap space.   I have FreeBSD version 2.1.0 with
the generic kernel.  Whenever I try to run config, the program
will run maybe 2 or 3 seconds, and then it will exit on signal 11.
(Segmentation Fault.)  I thought that I might be running low on swap, so
I tried booting up into the single user mode and tried again.  No change
whatsoever occured.  (Instead it will call it a Memory Fault.)  Some
people thought that I didn't have enough swap space period to compile a
kernel.  I mounted an unused partition on the hard drive for use as swap
and that brought the total to 50 megs.  Still, it didn't seem to make any
difference.

I don't know what else could cause trouble.  It could be that the chipset
is too buggy to do kernel compiles.  Turning off all caching didn't seem
to cure the problem.  Config could be corrupt, but I don't know how to
verify that.  I did have great difficulty getting hold of and
installing the kernel source codes.  I may have to try reinstalling
them.

Could anyone tell me if I'm on the right track?

-- Eric