Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2003 07:58:01 -0500
From:      Scott Allendorf <scott-allendorf@uiowa.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make index / portsdb -Uu problems

David Taylor wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Adam wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 23:10, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>>
>>>index is currently building successfully on a clean system.  Either
>>>you don't have a complete or consistent ports tree, or something else
>>>on your system is causing the failure.
>>
>>I just tried removing my /usr/ports and updating from scratch, and I
>>still get a ton of 'non-existent -- dependency list incomplete' and 'no
>>entry for' errors.
>>
>>Examples:
>>gnome-swallow-1.1:"" non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
>>gnome-swallow-1.1:"/usr/ports/graphics/libgnomecanvasgnome2-2.2.2_1"
>>non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
>>
>>make_index: libgnomeuimm-1.3.16_1: no entry for
>>/usr/ports/x11/libgnomemm
>>make_index: libgnomeuimm-1.3.16_1: no entry for
>>/usr/ports/x11/libgnomemm
>>make_index: gmail-0.7.0: no entry for /usr/ports/mail/gmime
>>make_index: gmail-0.7.0: no entry for /usr/ports/mail/gmime
>>

>>It doesn't complain about the same ports every time, but it does give
>>the same errors every time. This has been happening for at least 2-3
>>months now.
>>
>>Here's the script I use to update my ports tree.
>>/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
>>/usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -aF
>>/usr/local/sbin/portsdb -Uu
>>/usr/local/sbin/portsclean -C
>>/usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -u
>>

> I use a fairly similar script to update my ports tree, and I also
> encounter loads of errors during the INDEX building stage of it.
>
> In fact, it's probably responsible for the vast majority of the disk space
> taken up by my daily runs :)
>
> For example, /usr/ports/print/pips*/ all depend on print/pips800, which
> seems to produce numerous errors...
>
> There's numerous other errors, but there's too many right now for me to
> spend enough time sorting through them and figuring out which are real and
> which are caused by other errors..

I'm seeing the same thing on -STABLE from yesterday.  It appears as if
newer versions of make are having trouble with the right hand sides of
the conditionals used in the print/pips800 Makefile.  To duplicate this,
  try a "make readme" or "make describe" in the print/pips800 directory.
Putting quotes (") around the right hand sides that are not purely
numeric in the print/pips800 Makefile seems to fix the problem and allow
"make index" to complete.

Cheers,

Scott