Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 11:42:11 -0600
From:      Tracy Phillips <tphilips@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with no bootable partion

hi all,

i have had FreeBSD installed before (about last week). I can install it
just fine now (it appears to install anyway), i just can not boot it at
all. Let me give you kind souls a description of my computer and see if
you can help. I will try to speak in FreeBSD terms whenever i can its
all still pretty new to me (if you know linux terms i know those a
little better when dealing with harddrives).

I have 3 harddrives set up as so:

        /dev/wd0        Windows95
        IBM OEM Disk
        540 MB
        1049 cyl 16 heads 63 sec/t

        /dev/wd1        Where i propose to keep FreeBSD
        Western Digital Caviar 3100
        1083 MB
        2100 cyl 16 heads 63 sec/t

        /dev/wd2s1      LiNUX
        /dev/wd2s2      MSDOS Vfat partition
        Maxtor  Model 7540RV
        540 MB (or there abouts)
        1046 cyl 16 heads 63 sec/t

All of the harddrive info came dirctley off of the Harddrives themselves
so i will assume it to be correct. But then again we all know about ASS
U ME ing something :)

When I go into the FreeBSD's Disk Labeler (or whatever its called) I
push a to use the entire disk. Then i select yes when it asks me if i
want to keep this compatible with other operating systems (Does it
matter what i select if im using the whole disk for FreeBSD?). I then
use the auto defaults for the disk partitions and this is what i get:

        /       32mb UFS Y
        <none>  42mb Swap
        /var    320mb UFS Y
        /usr    929mb UFS Y

I then select q and select my packages and where i want them installed.
Every thing appears to go fine until i try to boot from System Commander
(which i have also used before). I get "No Bootable Partition".

Now back hat the disk labeler thing should i make the FreeBSD partition
Active by pushing s or will this interfere with my other operating
systems.

At the Boot selctor options i have tried them all and none seems to
work.

What can i do or am i doing something wrong when i try to install the
OS.

I do not mind how my drives are configured as long as FreeBSD ends up on
the Western Digital one.

What is the exact syntax that i need to use to boot from the floopy
dirve? i have tried this but it gives me a syntax wrong or something to
that effect.

Also of note to whoever reads this i am starting to mess around with
some HTML and have a FreeBSD Page starting to Brew. It is at:

        http://www.netten.net/~tphilips

please check it out and send me a note about what you think so far, or
what would be good to add. I would like a page of relevent FreeBSD links
since they are so hard to find on the WWW. Its not much now but i would
like to add more if there is much interest. Pass along the yerl (thats
southern) if you don't mind.

Thank you so much for your time,

Tracy Phillips
tphilips@cedar.netten.net