Date:      09 Jul 2000 08:23:27 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Yikes.. "/" is getting full

Toshiba 4005CDS
Running 4.0-STABLE snap 07/08

My "root" ("/") directory is getting full showing  89% used.

I made it a little larger than the default on install at 50MB.
I do have a couple of spare kernels lurking in there but still looks
like I need to enlarge it somehow or symlink something elsewhere.

Trouble is , that seems a little shaky in case of emergency boot and "/"
is all that is mounted.

I'm pretty new and don't really know what is important to leave on
"/", and especially how to move root to new larger partition.  I do
have space on an `anex' partition.

Looking for ways to trim down I looked in /stand and see two really odd
looking files.  They look like something I created with sloppy
commands or typing:

ls /stand shows in addition to the normal file, two that look like
this:

-sh
[

Running `file' on either gives:

/stand/[: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),
statically linked, stripped

ls -l shows:
-r-xr-xr-x  30 root  wheel  1687052 Jun 24 05:06 /stand/[

Same size as all the other executables in there.