Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2003 05:10:47 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        riccardo@torrini.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/i386 kern.flp flooding again

Makoto Matsushita wrote:
> riccardo> Is this stuff really needed on a boot floppy?  Maybe we can leave
> riccardo> only I486_CPU?  What about removing also device eisa and/or bpf?
> riccardo> (I'm just curious, don't expect to be an expert  :-)
>
> The bpf is required for DHCP client.  We cannot remove it, or cannot
> network install FreeBSD via fetch-IPv4-address-by-DHCP-only network.
> I doubt if we can already livin' IPv6-only network :-)

IPv6 is supposed to support stateless autoconfiguration, and not need
DHCP to get you a routable address.  IPv4 can do this too (via link.local),
but IPv4 pretty much requires either a NAT box to participate in making
the non-routable addressed assigned internally work, or DHCP is needed.
Worst case, you can manually configure a routable address, so that's an
option, if there's nothing else that can be pulled out safely.

Probably it would be worthwhile to leave any driver not in the boot
or install path on a separate floppy; I thought that was already the
case?

> I have no idea about eisa; I don't have any (PCs and cards).  But if
> eisa is removed, we lost some users who has EISA-based PCs so it may
> be avoided.
>
> Note that both devices cannot load as a kernel module at this time;
> removing these devices means that we cannot use them for installation.

Anything in the boot path, by definition, can't be a module, without
orphaning some user or another.

-- Terry