Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:16:01 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, jake@FreeBSD.ORG, Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Subject:   Re: Interesting backtrace...

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 02:47:34PM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
> > npx.c already has one "fix" for the overflow problem.  The problem
> > is may be that clocks don't work early any more.
>
> It must be that microtime() doesn't work early any more.

I did a quick check, and it does seem that i586_bzero can be faster
on the k6-2. I found it was about twice as fast for large buffers.
This was timed in userland using the TSC. With a slightly simplified
version of i586_bzero (I removed all the kernel specific stuff and
had it always save the floating point state on the stack). A graph
is at:

	http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/comp/bzero-band.ps

The graph seems to peak at about 160kB/s, which seems plausable.
The code is at:

	http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/comp/-time.S
	http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/comp/-time.c

(It's crude, but seemed to produce moderately OK results. You get
ocasional dips in the bandwidth due to using the tcs for timing.
I only tried sizes which were a power of two, aswell...)

	David.