Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 14:08:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, kline@tera.tera.com, dg@root.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: InfoWorld brawl esclates

According to Eivind Eklund:
> On Tue, May 05, 1998 at 01:25:15PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> > At 11:08 AM 5/5/98 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > >	One reason we humans have survived these score millennia
> > >	is because cooperation precedes competition.  Individual
> > >	effort sometimes yield brilliant results; cooperative,
> > >	maximum.  Both operating systems would gain if features
> > >	from each were shared.
> > >
> > >	Both the *BSD and *Linux OS's agree with the free software
> > >	paradigm; it's a matter of degree.
> >
> > One would certainly hope so! But tune in to that InfoWorld forum
> > to see what's actually going on. Anyone who critiques the GPL
> > is *immediately* branded a "Linux basher," a "zealot," or worse.
> > Ditto anyone who points out areas in which FreeBSD has advantages
> > over Linux. The rhetoric is *nasty*, guys.

		Oh, no doubt.  We've had some nasty little
		spats ourselves.  If there _is_ a way of
		combatting such bias ((short of getting an
		Uzi and moving these people down in hot blood))
		it is to speak up with an informed reason.

		Sort of ``the BIG LIE'' in reverse.  If, after
		hearing our side of things, the majority isn't
		swayed, well, too bad....

> Sorry - I don't agree.  In the forums, you _do_ tend to come over as a
> zealot and Linux basher.  (And claiming that I get this impression
> because I'm a closet Linuxial won't get you anywhere ;-)

		I'm sure that Brett can fight his own battles;
		but from knowing him as a fellow porter, he's
		fair and mellow.  He's got something most lack:
		enthusiasm!

		gary