Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:06:21 +0000
From:      Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@pt-quorum.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD lacks PPPoE (pppoa3 solution)

Hello to all,

I'm using FreeBSD for almost 4 years and I will continue with it because
I can't find better.

I subscribed to a ADSL connection in Portugal that supports only PPPoE
(and not PPPoA).

Almost everyone in Portugal uses only 2 modems (supported by ISPs):
Siemens Santis USB and Alcatel SpeedTouch 330 USB.

Linux people has already support to Alcatel USB modems with PPPoE
connections and FreeBSD still lacks of PPPoE support.

I don't like Linux so, to solve my home network problem, I install a
Windows machine to share the Internet (ooops!) across my LAN.

The new Speedtouch 1.2 beta2 driver (http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/index.php?/news.en.html),
already support Bridging 1483 mode (PPPoE support) in pppoa3 but without
use in FreeBSD.

Please read the following thread to see some solutions for implementing
PPPoE in FreeBSD.

http://www.mail-archive.com/speedtouch@ml.free.fr/msg04514.html

For what you can see in this thread:

"...that  task is  simply a  matter of  two or  three #ifdefs  for  each
BSD flavor, but nobody seems volunteering to accomplish it."

I'm just a FreeBSD user not a programmer or hacker, so I can only help
FreeBSD community asking you to try to implement PPPoE in FreeBSD so
everyone uses it.

Thanks very much for your great work,

		Nuno Teixeira

--