Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 11:32:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2-s nfsv3/udp server daily panic

:>> "AGB" == Alex G Bulushev <bag@sinbin.demos.su> writes:
:
:    >> If you are running softupdates, try turning it off (but I doubt this
:    >> is the problem).
:
:    AGB> we dont run softupdate because of posible problems with nfs+softupdate
:
:Hmm, I intend to setup a FreeBSD NFS server, and was planning to use
:softupdates. What problems are there with nfs+softupdate? If these are
:in -stable, are they also in -current?
:
:
:Peter Mutsaers

    I haven't encountered any problems with NFS serving a softupdates
    filesystem verses NFS serving a normal filesystem.  This isn't to say
    that there aren't any bugs in NFS - there are - but exporting a
    softupdates filesystem verses a non-softupdates filesystem should not
    make it any worse.

    However, you should note one thing: softupdates bends the NFS spec
    considerably by not being able to guarentee synchronization, which may
    throw the clients slightly out of whack if the server crashes and
    reboots.

    That said, all of my NFS exports are of softupdates-enabled filesystems
    and that has never caused a problem for me.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>