Date:      	Sat, 17 Feb 1996 10:05:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named update

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> Guy Helmer wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know the named version details surrounding the named problem
> > that CERT just reported?  I just don't know which version tries to close
> > up the hole.  Is named in 2.0.5 and 2.1.0 a vulnerable version?
>
> 	recent cert advisory regarding BIND-4.9.3 teh problem
> 	was buffer overflow hitting the stack during a recvfrom system call.
>
> 	the patch is available from paul vixie
> 	its called Patch1 dont have the exact reference here
>
> 	the patch changed a total of two calls to recvfrom()
>
> 	jmb

  patch1 prevents named from dumping core when receiving hesiod queries
from Ultrix machines.  It does not directly correspond to this CERT
alert.  This core dumping problem appears to affect all 4.9.3 betas too.

  The problem alerted to by CERT, can allow outside attackers to
introduce bad info into the named cache, affecting the security of host
based authenication.  It is unclear exactly what versions are affected,
but 4.9.3P1 is not.

Tom