Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 21:21:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au (Daniel O'Callaghan)
Cc:        jfesler@calweb.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to add extra shutdown code?

> > Hmm, I don't see how to do this under FreeBSD (too easy under Slowlaris ;-).
> > Is there any way I can have a script ran at stutdown?   I have some stuff
> > that needs to run at shutdown time (versus after reboot).
>
> shutdown -r execs /sbin/reboot and shutdown -h execs /sbin/halt.
>
> You could replace each of those programs with a shell script which does
> stuff you want and then calls /sbin/halt.real, or /sbin/reboot.real
>
> Might be a nice addition to the system to have an rc.halt which is
> processed by halt and reboot if it exists, though.

Check the -hackers list archives; there have been a number of positings
of "rc.shutdown" patches for init.  I believe that the most recent one
was "Message-ID: <Mutt.19970112160314.roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>", which
was posted on "Sun, 12 Jan 1997 16:03:14 +0100" by Ollivier Robert, email
address roberto@keltia.freenix.fr

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org