Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 11:06:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UFS large directory performance

:This is great -- once I finish moving back to Maryland (sometime
:mid-next-week) I'd be very interested in running this code on a -CURRENT
:mock-up of my Cyrus server, which regularly runs with 65,000+ file
:directories.  I assume this is a -CURRENT patch set?
:
:(Mind you, I've found that most of the perceived "large directory
:suffering" people tell me about is running ls with sorting enabled :-).
:
:Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Project
:robert@fledge.watson.org      NAI Labs, Safeport Network Services

    I can see this really helping mail queue performance, especially
    when coupled with softupdates, and also helping samba (windoz likes
    to scan directories), and perhaps even squid to a degree.  It won't
    beat an on-disk B+Tree, but it's about as close as you can get with
    UFS.  And adding the free-space statistics is icing on the cake.

    This will also greatly reduce buffer cache lock contention on
    directories undergoing simultanious background I/O (aka softupdates).

						-Matt