Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:16:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Hallam Oaks <mlnn4@oaks.com.au>
Cc:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multi-terabyte disk farm

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Hallam Oaks wrote:
> If anyone wants to suggest alternative enclosures to the Kingstons
> then I'm all ears. Nothing in that area is set in stone (yet).

The Kingstons are fine provided you do not attempt to integrate them
yourself.

I'm fairly unhappy with most of the RAID products out there at this point.

Hitachi looks to have some interesting stuff.

Artecon as some really slow, lame stuff.

Symbios has some fairly good, but lame interfacing stuff.

Call Gary Evans at UniSolutions (713.552.0505).  They have an email
address as well (unisol@ix.netcom.com) but I remember it not being
frequently checked.

Gary knows his stuff and will be albe to do disk integration for you, and
offer suggestions on RAID solutions as well.

They've been doing this stuff for a long time and your project
requirements are probably on the small end of the kind of things they do.
:)

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |