Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2005 01:14:20 +0100
From:      "Daniel Eriksson" <daniel_k_eriksson@telia.com>
To:        "'Doug White'" <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Current' <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Crash on CURRENT from today

Doug White wrote:

> > Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
>
> these are bad news.  The only times I've seen this is with
> horrifically
> broken code or hardware problems.  Mostly hardware problems.
> You might
> check the environmentals on your system, and check the event
> log for any
> ECC correction events or other abnormal behavior.  Normal code isn't
> likely to trigger GPFs.
>
> Did you compile the kernel with any non-standard options?

The machine has been running pretty solid for the last couple of months.
This of course doesn't mean it's not a hardware problem. I'll know for sure
in a couple of days I guess (if it keeps crashing with strange errors).

Kernel/world is compiled only with standard flags. Nothing in make.conf
except "CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp" (which means -O2 is used). I reverted back to a
non-debug kernel a few weeks ago when the makefiles were changed to only use
-O for debug-kernels. However, after switching mpsafenet back on (replaced
NFS (which locked up for me with mpsafenet) with geom_gate) I have some
spare cycles to burn on the machine. I might as well use a debug-kernel in
case this isn't a hardware problem.

/Daniel Eriksson

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAA0VcX9IoJqUaXPS8MjT1PdsKAAAAQAAAAI6TAYRJQdkKhMiFnEgfiCQEAAAAA>