Date:      Mon, 12 May 2008 23:05:48 +0200
From:      Zbigniew Komarnicki <cblasius@gmail.com>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic FreeBSD 7.0 - Xorg

On Monday 12 of May 2008 22:22:12 Roland Smith wrote:
> > > How *exactly* did you upgrade your ports? Sometimes old libraries hang
> > > around causing trouble.
> >
> >I used portsnap to download ports:
> > portsnap fetch
> > [...]
>
> Did you do a 'portsnap extract' as well? Fetching alone isn't enough.

Yes of course. I first use 'portsnap update', but the portsnap told me that
the ports was not created by portsnap and gave me what to do next. So I do it
and everythings go on succesfull after that.

> You should definitely use the radeon driver for this hardware.

I use on this computer also "Debian lenny" and everythings works well also
Xorg. But in xorg.conf on Debian I have "ati" driver not "radeon".
The Xorg have the following version on Debian:

X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90
Release Date: 5 September 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux Debian (xorg-server 2:1.4.1~git20080131-4)
Current Operating System: Linux komp1 2.6.24-1-686 #1 SMP Sat Apr 19 00:37:55
UTC 2008 i686
Build Date: 29 April 2008  08:24:00PM

> Saved cores are kept in /var/crash by default. See "dumpdir" in
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf. Try
>
>   kgdb /boot/kernel/kernel.symbols /var/crash/vmcore.8

I will try it.  Thank you.

> > Why Xorg do kernel panic?
>
> It has access to system internals via /dev/mem and /dev/io. So it can
> potentially screw things up pretty badly.

I understand.

> It might also be a hardware problem. Testing the RAM would be a good
> place to start.

I check it. I run "memtest" today.

It is strange why on Debian it works but here not?

Thank you very much Roland.

> Roland

Best wishes,
Zbigniew