Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 09:36:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        matt@lkg.dec.com (Matt Thomas)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BICC (C-LANCE) DE 205

> In  <199512051049.LAA17872@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de> , you wrote:
>
> > Booting a 2.1.0 system I get
> > [...]
> > le0 not found at 0x300
> > lnc0 not found at 0x280
> > lnc1 at 0x300-0x30f irq 10 drq 0 on isa
> > lnc1: BICC (C-LANCE) Ethernet controller, address 00:00:40:01:00:00
> >

> > Later I'm trying to start the interface and get
> >
> > lnc1: Initialisation failed
> >
> > This is a ASUS PCI/I P54?? board. The Lance controller is a DEC
> > DE 205 Etherworks III which works fine under Win95%/NT in that
> > very same box.
> >
> > Any clues? The ethernet address looks a bit strange, doesn't it?
>
> The DE205 is not LANCE based, it is a DEC private chip called the LeMAC.
> You must use the le driver to access it (and it obviosly didn't find it).
> What are the settings being used under Windows NT?

I put on my glasses and saw that it is a EtherWORKS DE 203, not a DE205.
Excuse the misinformation but these imprinted into sheet letters in the back
mounting panel are diffult to decipher sometimes.

I just noticed that (due to some network card swapping it escaped
to me) it wasn't yet running under NT but under Win95 it works
and has the setting 0x300-0x31f/5/c8000-c87ff.