Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 14:54:03 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Varshavchick Alexander <alex@metrocom.ru>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: maxusers and random system freezes

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, David Schultz wrote:

> > vm.zone_kmem_pages: 5413
> > vm.zone_kmem_kvaspace: 218808320
> > vm.kvm_size: 1065353216
> > vm.kvm_free: 58720256
> >
> > does it mean that total KVA reservation is 1065353216 bytes (1G) and
> > almost all of it is really mapped to physical memory because only 58720256
> > (56M) is free, and the server is balancing on the edge of crashing with
> > KVA going out?
>
> Yes, 56 MB of unreserved kernel virtual memory (modulo
> fragmentation) is probably pushing it for a busy server.
> Try bumping KVA_PAGES.

Well, now I made KVA space 2G, we'll see later on if it helps to get rid
of the sudden system halts, but for some reason a side-effect has
appeared: pthread_create function returns EAGAIN error now, so I had to
recompile the software using it with linux threads to make it working.
With the old kernel these pieces worked without problems. Can it be that
somehow the enlarged KVA space messed up with the threads mechanism?

----
Alexander Varshavchick, Metrocom Joint Stock Company
Phone: (812)118-3322, 118-3115(fax)