Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 08:41:46 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Eli Lazich <elazich@loopback.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO 2.2.5

> OK, I understand all of this, now that prompts the question of how in
> 2.2.5 you build the kernel to support PCMCIA.

As I stated in earlier email, the FreeBSD boot floppy doesn't have
generic PCMCIA support, but has support for 2 specific ethernet cards,
which are serviced by zp/ze.

> I found the GENERIC kernel
> with the PCMCIA lines commented out, tried to build and got an error
> because the generic (ze0/zp0) devices were still left in.

Right, you can't mix the 'specific card' driver and 'generic PCMCIA'
support.

> I then tried to rebuild with those devices commented out to no avail.
> I got an error toward the end of the make on the new kernel referring
> to scsi drivers not being configured (I'll have to try again to get
> the exact error messages).

Because of this confusion, in the next releases of FreeBSD there are now
'PCCARD' config files that contain laptop support kernels.  If you
upgrade to 2.2.5-STABLE (post 2.2.5), that config file will exist which
should give you a better idea what is supported in FreeBSD, as well as
much better laptop support.

> OOnce I get the new kernel built, where do valid pccard.conf and
> pccard_ether etc... files get created.

They are in /usr/src/etc, and must be edited/installed in /etc.  (Some
are already, but I believe pccard.conf is installed as
pccard.conf.sample).

Nate