Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 1997 12:44:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd runaway on 2.2-BETA (solved)

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Dan Busarow wrote:
> Anyway, now I'm trying to figure out serial consoles.  Everything
> in the archives makes it sound like a no-brainer so maybe
> I'll get it going :)

Wrapping up my little problem with syslog/running headless.

I built a new kernel with sio0 included and installed it.
vi /etc/ttys and turn on ttyd0 with std.9600

reboot with -c ( not -h ) and disable sc0

The system booted up with messsages coming across the laptop
I had plugged into the serial port :)

Man, this was easy, I don't even have COMCONSOLE  as an option
in the kernel.  Disabling sc0 appears to automatically kick it
into serial console mode.  I was going to make sure the serial
port was working before I stuck option COMCONSOLE in the
kernel config file but it looks like I don't need to.

Looking at the Makefile in boots/biosboot I see that COMCONSOLE
is unconditionally defined so it may be an obsolete option.

Anyway, I take back my earlier statement that using -c to toggle
a VGA card off and on was cool.  A serial console is much cooler.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com