Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 1996 17:54:40 -0600 (MDT)
From:      George Simunovich <george@cia-g.com>
To:        flexfax@sgi.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   DTR dropping for outgoing data call.

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with Hylafax V4.0pl0 and sharing a modem with
outgoing calls.  It seems that the DTR isn't being dropped when the
program (cu and ppp) using the modem for outgoing data quits.

System info:

	Basic Pentium System
	FreeBSD-2.2 current
	Hayes Optima business class modem
	Hylafax V4.0pl0 using "/dev/cuaa2"

After starting all the Hylafax programs (faxq, hfaxd and faxgetty) I can
run "cu -l /dev/cuaa2" and do whatever.  After quitting cu with "~.", the
DTR is not dropped (as seen by the TR light on the modem) and the
modem stays connected.  After waiting a few seconds it seems faxgetty
starts going again and the DTR is dropped and faxgetty reinits the modem.

So, if I run "cu -l /dev/cuaa2" and connect to somewhere, quit with
"~." and then rerun "cu -l /dev/cuaa2" immediately, it will still be
connected from the previous "cu".  If I now exit the second "cu" with
"~." the DTR is dropped and the modem disconnects.  Now the dropping of
the DTR works until faxgetty starts up again.  Once faxgetty starts
up again its back to square one.

So, it seems to take a second program to open and close "/dev/cuaa2" for
the DTR to drop.  Even running something like "cu -l /dev/cuaa2;cat <
/dev/null > /dev/cuaa2" will drop the DTR when the "cat" quits instead of
the "cu".

Everything else works.  I can send and receive faxes and use the modem
for outgoing and incoming data just fine.  It just won't drop DTR after
an outgoing data call.

I have tried running faxgetty on "/dev/ttyd2" instead of "/dev/cuaa2".
Sending and receiving faxes seem to work, but everything that tries
to use "/dev/cuaa2" can't open it and reports a "Line Busy" error.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

George

George Simunovich <george@cia-g.com>