Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 08:20:58 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
To:        benco@pendor.McKusick.COM
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mv /usr/src/games /dev/null - any objections?

On  3 Nov, Ben Cottrell wrote:
> In message <4964.878612091@time.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
>> And since when was rot13 a "game", anyway?  A pretty boring game, if
>> you ask me :)
>
> Actually, that was a large portion of my point :-) There are many things in
> /usr/games that are not games, they are actually useful utilities. Nuking
> the entire directory would not only eliminate fluff, it would also take out
> a number of mathematical and text-processing utilities with it.
>
> I would get behind a proposal to eliminate all the real "games" while leaving
> the rest, but I strongly oppose deleting the whole directory.

I'm in favour of nuking games.  I like fortune, but haven't run it
since I started to use X (where do you put a logout message, hmmmm?).

I don't understand the passion for rot13 everyone has been displaying.
There are so many (commercial) Unix systems in my past that have not
had it at all that the following script has been in my personal bin
since July 1989:

tr 'a-zA-Z' 'n-za-mN-ZA-M'

(look ma, no #!/bin/sh, even)

I've probably used random in a few scripts over the years,
but it would be easy to make random a wrapper for jot, now
that that's in /usr/bin.

I can't see anything else there that's worth keeping.

--
Andrew

"The steady state of disks is full."
				-- Ken Thompson