Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:24:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Hallam Oaks <mlnn4@oaks.com.au>
Cc:        "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>, "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multi-terabyte disk farm

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Hallam Oaks wrote:
> I got this JUST in time to give it to the management finance meeting. It made
> my day ... as I'd already told them to expect 36 (or so) gb drives from IBM
> 'soonish'. I just didn't think it would be THIS soon.

I still think the tape robot solution would be a better way to go.

Expanding a big library is just a matter of adding more silos.

Drives may fail but you can (and should) have spares.

Tapes can fail as well, but you can (and should) have dupes.

I'm pretty sure that the cost of scaling is cheaper than for online
storage.

Additionally, you may wish to check out some of the new HP Magneto Optical
storage products.  Their 1200ex can fit 1237.6 GB across 238 media slots
using 5.2g media with 4, 6 or 10 drives.

Consider also CD-ROM jukeboxes.  With the cost of CDR media you would be
limited only by the size of the changer you could find.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |