Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 17:11:13 -0500
From:      "Thomas W. Lovell" <tlovell@fostermiller.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Forths for freeBSD?  Adv/disadv of NetBSD and OpenBSD?

Hi,

Two questions about FreeBSD:

    1) Any good 32-bit Forth implementations available (commercial is
ok) with a rich wordset and good links to the operating system?
        (e.g., analogous to 16-bit HS/Forth, which was custom-written
for MS-DOS on the IBM PC, fast, with good links to the
        operating system and with a rich wordset for strings, graphics
and memory management on the Intel processors.)

    2) Any opinion about using NetBSD or OpenBSD on an IBM compatible?
Would I lose performance from these (I assume) more generic
        systems?  Do either of these other OS's offer advantages (aside
from cross-platform compatibility) that FreeBSD does not?

Thanks for any help.

Tom Lovell
tlovell@foster-miller.com