Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:11:20 -0500
From:      Jaime Bozza <jbozza@mindsites.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ZFS Boot/7.2-STABLE

After much work and looking at all the different configurations, I have a r=
unning 7.2-STABLE (amd64) system running ZFS only with no partitions.   Unf=
ortunately, this required a couple of things.

First - The patch here:=20
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-June/050518.html

(just the patch to nfs.c - the other one is already in the tree)

Next, I re-enabled ZFS support in /sys/boot/i386/Makefile

Finally, I rebuilt and installed libstand, then rebuilt and installed the b=
oot loader.   Once I had those pieces, my ZFS-only system booted fine. =20

I've read the problems that caused the ZFS support to be backed out.  Could=
 ZFS Boot (loader) support be something optional that isn't a default?   Th=
is would allow those who want to use ZFS Boot the ability without needing t=
o move to 8.0 (which still isn't out officially).

I'd have no problems rebuilding world to enable ZFS Boot on a new system, b=
ut currently I'd have to remember to re-patch libstand and the loader Makef=
ile each time I updated, or move to 8.0, which I'm not quite ready to do.  =
=20

At the very least, can someone MFC the libstand patch?  The link above is b=
asically the diff between 7.x and 8.x for the nfs.c file.

Jaime Bozza