Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:43:51 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        "Douglas A. Kramer, M.D." <dakrame1@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1 make kernel

* Douglas A. Kramer, M.D. <dakrame1@facstaff.wisc.edu> [000821 09:44] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently installed release 4.1 on my intel hardware.  The installation
> proceeded fine but I am having problems building a new kernel.  I have
> attempted to build the GENERIC kernel without modification and get a
> error code 1 with syntax errors in kern/tty.c.  My steps are
> 1) config GENERIC

First off one shouldn't be editing GENERIC, but if you're just compiling
it then it's ok.

> 2) ../../compile

This should be:  cd ../../compile/GENERIC

> 3) make depend
> 4) make -- here is where it fails
>
> The non-generic version of my kernel also fails at the same place.  Any
> help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Any sort of explanation for 'fails' would be helpful, the last couple
of lines of the point where it fails would be nice, honestly I'm not
even sure if "fails" means that it can't compile, you're in the wrong
directory or that smoke and sparks start shooting out of the powersupply
on the box. :)