Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 2003 23:51:04 +0100
From:      "Stacy Olivas" <olivas@digiflux.org>
To:        "'Willie Viljoen'" <will@unfoldings.net>, <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'Peter Kieser'" <pfak@telus.net>
Subject:   RE: Project to improve FreeBSD PR

> In the excitement of setting up a project, it seems Stacy and
> I have managed
> to steal it inadvertantly from Peter Kieser. Our sincerest
> apologies to Peter
> for the offence, we hope that we can mend some fences and
> possibly join
> forces with him.

Yes, it seems that we are so eager to see this come to fruition, that nobody
stopped to
check and see if someone else wasn't already doing this...  Sorry.. :)
Didn't mean to
steal your thunder there Peter. :) Gomen nasai!

> Also, some people, including Peter, have offered servers to
> help host a domain
> for such a site, our thanks to you all. Please keep the
> pledges coming.
>
> The origional idea for the project is from Peter Kieser,
> <pfak@telus.net>,
> please contact him with sugestions you might have for such a project.
>
> An HTML version of the mailing list's "TO DO LIST" to improve
> FreeBSD PR,
> origionally posted by Eric Anderson has been set up by Stacy Olivas
> <olivas@digiflux.org> and is available at
http://digiflux.org/fbsd-advocacy/

Thanks to everyone who's send e-mails with comments or have volunteered to
take on an item in the
task list.

I update this as I get info from people.. It's nothing fancy, just something
that was setup as
a starting point -- something to try to get the ball rolling...  What
prompted me to put up this page
(which, looking at the logs, I've noticed a few people adding to their
favorites (/favicon.ico) ;))
was something in a post saying basically saying: you talk the talk, now walk
the walk, put your money
where your mouth is, etc. etc..

<brag>
Well, I've been using FreeBSD since the 2.2.1 release (god, how long ago was
that now?)...
While I don't claim to be a "master" at it, I know my way around it enough
and feel like it's time to
give something back..  My real job has precluded me from engaging in this in
the past, but now I am
in a position where I can start giving back (or at least attempt to).
</brag>

>If you wish to contribute hosting of back-up DNS, back-up MX or WWW space
for
>the planned web site, please contact me <will@unfoldings.net> for details.
>
>Once again, we apologize profusely to Peter and everybody else for our
>overzealous grabbing of his idea, we're not only looking for technical
>contributions, any hands we can get are welcome too, we hope that Peter
would
>be willing to give us a hand, possibly as a project leader and/or an editor
>for the site, I certainly don't think I'm much of a project leader, and I'm
>sure Stacy would agree that we could do well focusing on technical aspects
of
>such a project, with someone with the right field of skills providing the
>leadership and co-ordination we would need to tackle this properly, and
most
>certainly to avoid stepping on people's toes in future.

Someone on this list said that advocates shouldn't cut each other down, but
build upon
the strengths of each other (if I may paraphrase what was said)...  This is
an example where
we can put this principle to work, otherwise it might well end up a flame
war with nothing
accomplished except people finding new ways (or reusing old) to waste
bandwidth. :)

>Any technical help would also be appreciated, or even links or resources
you
>may know of that would be handy to such a project, please let us know.
>
>It is my hope that Peter and Stacy aren't too vexed by the arogance I
>displayed with my past few postings, especially appealing for help with
>servers without consulting either of them, and, as Stacy writes in an
earlier
>e-mail, that we can work together with instead of against each other. Also
>with other projects out there that might be doing the same thing. I'd feel
>very silly reinventing the wheel all the time if others have already put
alot
>of work into this. It would be better to draw upon their input than to
start
>from scratch and most probably affront even more people in the process.

Vexed?  Hell no... i'm just glad someone else out there is willing to throw
their
hat into the ring and help.... :)  The more the merrier.. IMHO, it takes
more guts to
actually stick your neck out and try to get something different or new done,
that it takes to
sit back and moan and groan about it.   We need more people like you..

>Sorry for all of the misunderstandings and unpleasantness I have caused, if
>you feel like it, flames may be directed to will@unfoldings.net

Please feel free to CC olivas@digiflux.org on any flames you direct to the
address above. :)

>With the hope that this will mend some fences and un-burn some bridges...

Ditto.

>Kind Regards
>Will
>--