Date:      Sat, 19 Jul 2014 16:35:18 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Olavi Kumpulainen <olavi.m.kumpulainen@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C++ exceptions in freebsd-arm doesn't seem to work

On Sat, 2014-06-07 at 14:12 +0200, Olavi Kumpulainen wrote:
> Hi there,
>=20
> If this question has been discussed before, sorry. I couldn=FFt find an=
ything when scanning through the archives though.
>=20
> So, I=FFm running FreeBSD-10/stable on a RPI version B as you can see h=
ere;
>=20
>=20
> Copyright (c) 1992-2014 The FreeBSD Project.
> Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 199=
4
>         The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserve=
d.
> FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
> FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE #0 r266807: Thu May 29 07:07:08 UTC 2014
>     root@grind.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/src/sys/RPI-B arm
> FreeBSD clang version 3.4.1 (tags/RELEASE_34/dot1-final 208032) 2014051=
2
>=20
>=20
> I have this little program;
>=20
> $ cat t.cc
>=20
> #include <stdexcept>
> #include <iostream>
>=20
> void func()=20
> {
> 	throw std::exception();
> }
>=20
>=20
> int main()
> {
> 	std::cout << "Starting throw-test" << std::endl;
>=20
> 	try
> 	{
> 		func();
> 	}
> 	catch(std::exception){
> 		std::cout << =B4In my exception handler" << std::endl;
> 	}
>         catch(...) {
>                 std::cout << "In catch-all handler" << std::endl;
>         }
>=20
> 	return 0;
> }
>=20
> With this Makefile;
>=20
> $ cat Makefile
>=20
> all : t
>=20
> t : t.cc
> 	c++ -o t -fexceptions t.cc
>=20
>=20
> Running the above produces the following result;
>=20
> $ ./t
> Starting throw-test
> Fatal error during phase 1 unwinding
> Abort (core dumped)
>=20
> Which indeed is not what I expected.
>=20
> I=FFve tried debugging this for a couple of days and have concluded tha=
t my throw clause ends up in contrib/gcc/config/arm/unwind-arm.c. The ass=
ociated code in unwind-arm.c is;
>=20
> static _Unwind_Reason_Code
> get_eit_entry (_Unwind_Control_Block *ucbp, _uw return_address)
> {
>   const __EIT_entry * eitp;
>   int nrec;
>  =20
>   /* The return address is the address of the instruction following the
>      call instruction (plus one in thumb mode).  If this was the last
>      instruction in the function the address will lie in the following
>      function.  Subtract 2 from the address so that it points within th=
e call
>      instruction itself.  */
>   return_address -=3D 2;
>=20
>   if (__gnu_Unwind_Find_exidx)
>     {
>       eitp =3D (const __EIT_entry *) __gnu_Unwind_Find_exidx (return_ad=
dress,
> 							    &nrec);
>       if (!eitp)
> 	{
> 	  UCB_PR_ADDR (ucbp) =3D 0;
> 	  return _URC_FAILURE;
> 	}
>     }
>   else
>     {
>       eitp =3D &__exidx_start;
>       nrec =3D &__exidx_end - &__exidx_start;
>     }
>=20
>=20
> Since __gnu_Unwind_Find_exidx =3D=3D NULL, the EIT is located in an arr=
ay located between __exidx_start and __exidx_end.
>=20
> However, __exidx_end =3D=3D __exidx_start! So the EIT has a length of z=
ero, nrec will be 0. libgcc will fail the lookup and return _URC_FAILURE =
to libcxxrt.cc, which in turn will produce the fprintf(stderr, "Fatal err=
or during phase 1 unwinding\n");
>=20
> # readelf -s t | grep exidx
>     36: 0000a267     0 NOTYPE  GLOBAL DEFAULT  ABS __exidx_start
>     47: 0000a267     0 NOTYPE  GLOBAL DEFAULT  ABS __exidx_end
>    115: 0000a267     0 NOTYPE  GLOBAL DEFAULT  ABS __exidx_end
>    150: 0000a267     0 NOTYPE  GLOBAL DEFAULT  ABS __exidx_start
>=20
> So exception throwing in clang++ doesn=FFt seem to work.
>=20
> Can any of you guys shed some light on this?
>=20
> Cheers,
>=20
> /Olavi

I checked in a partial fix for c++ exception handling in r268893.  It
fixes the specific problem you detailed above, which was essentially
that the __gnu_Unwind_Find_exidx() function was not available in any
shared library, making the unwinder fall back to using the __exidx_start
and end symbols, which are only valid in a statically-linked app.

With the new function in place, exceptions are closer to working with
gcc 4.2.1, but still don't work with clang.  With gcc, some things work
and some things don't.  For example if you throw an exception and in the
same function have a catch with the right specific type it segfaults,
but a catch(...) will catch it without problems.  But you can catch an
exception by type if the catch is in a function higher up the call chain
from the place it was thrown.

We're continuing to debug this at $work, and welcome any input if anyone
else makes progress with it.  Right now we still don't know whether the
segfaults are because of bad unwinder library code or bad unwind data
emitted by gcc.  (I sure hope it's the library, because that's easier to
fix.)

On the clang front, it has been said that c++ exceptions work in clang
3.5, so we tried the clang-devel port, and it didn't just work.  But it
turns out that port hasn't been updated for quite a while, so we may not
have tested the code that's supposed to work right.  While trying that I
discovered that clang 3.5 isn't scheduled for release for about another
year, so that really isn't a viable solution for anyone with near-term
needs, unless the required changes can be cherry-picked and brought into
our version of 3.4.

-- Ian