Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 10:17:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        Alessandro de Manzano <adm@unixmania.net>, randall ehren <randall@ucsb.edu>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make buildworld problems

:
:On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Alessandro de Manzano wrote:
:
:AdM> >     I suspect the issue with /var may be related to /var/tmp.  If you
:AdM> >     ktrace -i that portion of the build and look for '/var' in the kdump
:AdM> >     I'll bet it will become obvious.
:AdM>
:AdM> I add myself to the list: why a (nosuid+)noexec /var should be a problem for
:AdM> the build/install system ?
:AdM>
:AdM> I've just config'ed my /var's to be (also) noexec and I planned for
:AdM> tomorrow a rebuild of all systems but now I'm worried... ;-)
:AdM>
:AdM> Could you or someone else, please, spread light on this ? :-)
:
:At least `installworld' phase from RELENG_4 uses pre-built install script
:in /var/tmp due to possibility of Read-only  /usr/src. I wonder why this
:script can't be placed under /usr/obj, which seems for me much more
:appropriate...
:
:Sincerely,
:D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]
:------------------------------------------------------------------------
:*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck@rinet.ru ***
:------------------------------------------------------------------------

    /usr/obj may be a read-only NFS mount.  The 'installworld' target
    cannot modify it.

    e.g. for the case where you buildworld on one machine and export
    /usr/src and /usr/obj via read-only NFS mounts to all the other machines,
    then installworld on each of the other machines.  I use this trick all
    the time to upgrade machines.

    I don't see much of a security advantage in making /var noexec but if
    you want to do it you will have to create a separate partition for
    /var/tmp, or make /var/tmp a softlink to /tmp (assuming you have a
    /tmp partition).  4.5 and 4.6's installer's 'A'uto partitioning creates
    a /tmp partition by default now.  If space is an issue other
    alternatives include mkdir'ing /home/tmp (modes 1777) and linking /var/tmp
    to /home/tmp, and so forth.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>