Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:42:45 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        dima@best.net, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nevermind :-)

Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Dima Ruban wrote:
>
> > Oops, looks like it wasn't _most_ recent update. False alarm.
> > Btw, did anybody got cvsup client working on alpha yet?
>
> A long while ago, John Birrell mentioned that he was working on something
> for modula-3 support but probably not at a very high priority.  I don't
> know how hard it would be to get modula going.  Does it have an alpha
> backend for the compiler?

The compiler is just gcc, like on i386. On alpha, though, there are
linker issues associated with walking the stack on exceptions. OSF/1
or Digital Unix or Compaq DIGITAL Unix or what ever it's called this
week has mips derived code in the linker to create a linkage table
which allows a pc address to be looked up to find out which function
it is in. GNU binutils has this code for mips, not alpha. In the alpha
sources, there are places where some of the mips code exists but is
#ifdef'd out. For some reason, the mips code only applies to shared
programs. This is a bit odd. I got to the point where I was about to go
ask the binutils people, but I must have had a context switch from which
I have never returned. 8-)

I was working in a cross-compiled mode to get Modula-3 to work for
FreeBSD/Alpha. Since Modula-3 works on OSF/1, I built that, then
made mods so that it would use remote commands for the backend tools
(gcc, ar, ld). I was able to build the whole thing that way. Without
the stack walking code, though, the programs just spit an error and
exit.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137