Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:34:22 +0200
From:      Juergen Unger <j.unger@addict.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Michael Bretterklieber <mbretter@inode.at>
Subject:   Re: Mergemaster [was: Re: Ifconfig config of gif tunnels]

Hi !

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 03:21:01PM +0200, Michael Bretterklieber wrote:
> I think something like /etc/defaults/mergemaster.conf, where for each
> file or for each directory (or pattern) can be defined the action, like
> "always update",  "never update", "merge".
>
> There are many files wich can be always updated during mergemaster like
> /etc/periodic or rc.*.
>
> The user should be able to overwrite the settings in his own
> /etc/mergemaster.conf (same system like for rc.conf or make.conf).
>
> It would be great to have this or something like this in mergemaster,
> because this can save many time.

it like this idea but I do have another suggestion wich can
be implemented additionally:  If the version of a file changed
let mergemaster look if the old existing file was modified at
all.  This can be done for example with a lookup of the original
file via cvs.
If the old existing file was never modified by an admin then
let mergemaster silently install the new version.
So all such files like /etc/periodic/*, /etc/mtree/*, /etc/default/*
and others are updated automatically without the need of interaction
from the updating admin... sure this should be configurable and can
be combined with the idea of an /etc/defaults/mergemaster.conf.
If a file is then mentioned in /etc/defaults/mergemaster.conf or
/etc/mergemaster.conf the file is processed like defined there.
If the file it is not listed in a .../mergemaster.conf then
check the cvs if the old file was modified, if not install the
new version.  If modified ask the updating admin what to do...

bye,
  -Juergen-Unger-

--
.no_sig